Messageboard

You are not logged in.

#1 Wed 31st Aug 05 13:35

Warren
Site Admin
Website

Boston, USA

After years of watching hockey in the UK and reading Powerplay I was always tempted by the Arena Tours deals where you get to see so many games in so many days. Combing a holiday in America with catching a few games seemed like the perfect rest from work!

Last year, my brother and I decided to organise our own. After looking at a few webistes (as you can tell from my posts, I love the internet) Boston seemed like the ideal destination. Great cities to visit, beautiful scenery to drive through in New England and an abundance of ice hockey teams from various leagues.

In the end we booked a fly drive through Virgin Holidays (www.virginholidays.co.uk) which gave us one week out in the States. We didn't prebook any hotels as we would grab Holiday Inns and other lodgings along the way. These are all very reasonably priced although not very flash - basically they will do you for the night.

The New England area (Boston, Massachusetts, Conneticut, Rhode Island) all have lots of hockey teams. I looked at the schedules to see when they were all at home and quickly a loop developed.

Fly into Boston, drive up to Lowell (www.lockmonsters.com) then down to Springfield (www.falconsahl.com). Across to Hartford (www.hartfordwolfpack.com) then drive down to either Danbury (www.danburytrashers.com) or Bridgeport (www.soundtigers.com). We opted for a flying visit to Danbury then onto Bridgeport. Back round the coast via Yale University and Mystic Seaport then into Rhode Island. No games on at Providence (www.providencebruins.com) and then into Boston for a the last two days. No Bruins games due to the lock out but we used the time to catch a local derby between Harvard University and Boston College Eagles. Anyone with NASN will know that college hockey is massive in the States and Boston has no less than three teams! (the other being Boston University).

We could easily have gone up to Manchester (Monarchs) or stopped in Worcester (Ice Cats). So many teams its just luck of the draw how many are at home at any one time - we found that no-one plays on a Tuesday however the other days are all filled.

All in all, we drove around and saw some great sites and watched a lot of hockey - all of it very enjoyable. I would happily go back and do it again. Driving yourself round is so easy, you can set your own timetable and watch as much or as little hockey as you want.

Next we will be looking to do a similar drive around the Great Lakes area as there are a number of teams there.

For more information on teams you can go to www.theahl.com, www.theuhl.com, www.nhl.com or the individual team sites.

If you want more information then please send me a PM

Its all about TEAMWORK - Play as a team, lose as a team, win as a team.

#2 Wed 31st Aug 05 14:52

Raff
Website

Re: Boston, USA

Webby, how do you comb a holiday, is that where you have like two breaks with a small parting down the middle? Or are talking about finding a beach in New england to do some treasure hunting?

Sorry mate but I couldn't resist on that typo...

Matt

#3 Wed 31st Aug 05 15:25

Warren
Site Admin
Website

:oops: God my tipyng id geting orful.

#4 Thu 1st Sep 05 19:19

scrivs
Player

right wot trip do you want me to try and type new york new york!!flames/rangers,rangers/philly? or my heritage wkend -28 edmonton?
remember it`s taken me 30 mins just to type this fool so watch this space big_smile

#5 Sat 22nd Oct 05 13:56

Warren
Site Admin
Website

Come on Scrivs, lets hear about the Heritage weekend!!

#6 Sat 26th Nov 05 13:43

Warren
Site Admin
Website

Whilst on a photo-tip...

hartford.jpg

and onto the business...

hartfordwolfpack.jpg

Board footer