Messageboard

You are not logged in.

#1 Sat 15th Oct 11 14:20

Doug
Management

Assassins win tournament!

The Assassins have just won the Eastbourne tournament beating Eastbourne edge, the southern league champions 8-7 in a very tense final that the Assassins were winning 8-3!

Well done to all the boys in only their 2nd tournament!

Eastbourne are heading to the National Finals next month as southern champions. (if only we entered the league this year!)

CHAMPIONS!!!!

#2 Sat 15th Oct 11 20:16

Biff
Player

Re: Assassins win tournament!

congrats to you all! well done

icehockey21.gif 54.gifTopplyman.gif
You cant just beat a team, you have to leave a lasting impression in their minds so they never want to see you again!

#3 Sun 16th Oct 11 08:52

goldberg
Player

Well done, sound like you have a great team already. Keep it up!!

#4 Sun 16th Oct 11 10:37

cp33c

I'm really proud of the boys. To come back composed after they narrowly lost to the same team 5-3 the game before was amazing. It will be very interesting to see how we get on in full matches of 40 minutes - we only played 24 minute games yesterday.

A very good performance from all the players and it was good to see such a good spread of goals. Owen also played very well in net stopping shooters with unbelievable saves.

Hopefully we can carry this into next season and become league contenders in both the peewee and youth age groups.

#5 Sun 16th Oct 11 23:43

RollerCoach

We have only been in exsistance for just about 5 months and we 'rock up' as the 'new team' that are having their first games, the 3rd day we have ever played games in a venue that is loud, intimidating and compact with the spectators standing, looking and shouting over the boards! We keep our composure and our belief that as a team we could win the all important, be all and end all game of this season.

Our opening game was against the Oxford team that were big and competitive, looking menacing as we started we found it hard to beat their goalie. After an avalanche of shots the goalie buckled and seemed to be lost as we scored the goals. Just before and after half time. They steadied the ship but we had sunk their opening game 5-2. One of special mention was Josh making his debut who was quick to find his feet and was a good team player all day.

Second game was the 'whipping' boys, Hastings, I set a target of 10, who despite putting in a strong performance came up against an impressive Assasins who throughout the whole game kept their structure and almost robotic goal scoring by playing balls both at the goalie and 'down the lines' allowing the forwards to work well drilling in to the corner and passing balls to the front post were our 'true pee-wee's' were taking full advantage winning 8-0! A mention to our goalie Owen who managed his second shut out in his second tournament. Pretty impressive hey?!

Third game against Eastbourne. The formidable team that really impressed us last time. Organised and with a bit of flair. At the start of the game people were talking about number 8 and 99 both with impressive ball control and a wicked shot (thankfully Owen was in goal lol). One the passer, one the charger! We were 1 up both times and with the game at 2-2 we looked strong. The lines were working and everyone had found their place, we were creating goal scoring opportunities but the net would not flutter until a quick move into the middle and a great goal. We were 3-2 up and we felt like we could win but as we breathed a sigh of relief at taking the lead our flow stopped and everyone took their foot off the pace. With a slight adjustment to their tactics their coach had changed the flow and we suddenly found our selves 5-3 down with the crowd seeing the 8 and 99 put in a very admirable performance. A goal of mention from Ryan who took the ball from the halfway line whilst shielding the ball from a defender 'deked' the goalie and 'popped' it over the goalies right leg to score a great individual goal.

Frustrated I pulled us together and said 'we were winning for 14 minutes and we then changed our game and the forwards stopped their skating! Why I asked?' I think we all knew we had it in us but needed to be stronger, keeping our structure and composure to keep playing until the final whistle.

Wow....... The final against Eastbourne. The fourth time we had met in such a small space of time. Could we over come the odds after losing our previous three encounters? The hall was full and the crowd cheering and shouting creating a really electric atmosphere. Everyone was anticipating a good game but the pace, energy and exhillerating hockey that was seen was a great sight for all. Pee wee hockey with good structured attacking and organised defending! Real end to end stuff with regular 'whooping' from the crowd made it a great game. Both teams started evenly, with both teams scoring excellent goals. Their was then a new number who grabbed the spotlight and it wasn't for Eastbourne. With 5 goals our number 10 truly took control with impressive play between 10, James, and Alex. Both players stood out in creating great opportunities and excellent finishing. At one point we were slicing through their defences with ease and finishing superbly but never under estimate a good team when their down. Eastbourne struck back and with 10 seconds to go it was a very tense 8-7. But with a time out and a face off our work was done. We had scored enough to win and take the win. A great performance from the entire team with everyone playing important parts in our victory.
I have to mention as well that the organisers said to me how impressed with the way that our team conducted itself and with the hockey they played. The refs commented on numbers '1 (the GOALIE) and 10 really showing excellent hockey skills'.

Eastbounes manager told me 'its great to see a team come down and give us a real competitive game. We have the nationals in two weeks and we have suffered our first defeat this season! What a great lesson my team should have learnt today and hopefully it will make them better in the nationals. Thank you for bringing your team' I wished him luck and realised what an achievement, we had just beaten the associations best in the South East!

I can only say how proud I am of all the players, those mentioned and those not. Everyone played in the four games it took to win our second tournament ever and without the dedication and belief of every player we would not of been able to win, after many questioned if it was possible. A great performance which fills me with hope and wonder at what will be happening this time next year!

PS Could players/parents add how many goals they scored. I lost track during the day!

Thank you to all that helped, came to support and our shirt sponsor LaserTag who helped us look good as we won!

Roll on next season .......................................................

#6 Mon 17th Oct 11 00:09

Farqs 7
Player

As a parent I would like to say how proud I was of the whole team. I have never seen a team beaten in a game knowing that they have to play the same team again, 15 minutes later and turn out a performance that would have been welcome at the national finals. The desire of the team to beat this unbeatable league winning team was so strong that it was probably one of the best games of hockey I have had the pleasure of watching. A massive big up to the Assassins and lets hope for some easier wins next season as my voice just can't take much mor of this tense cheering. Well done boys and a massive shout to Barry who was coach of the day in my book!!

#7 Mon 17th Oct 11 09:31

DaveT
Site Admin
Website

Well done guys that is an absolutely massive achievement in such a sport space of time, very proud to have our two teams associated.

#8 Mon 17th Oct 11 13:18

Rose15

As a parent (and hockey virgin!) I would like to say what a fantastic time myself and my son Josh had on Saturday.  Although Josh didn't get as much match time as he would have liked he was thrilled to have been involved in the Assassins' tournament win and I'm sure he leant a lot from the day and will carry that with him to the training sessions!

I was extremely impressed with the desire, sportsmanship and organisation demonstrated by the team, management and parents and we look forward to sharing future successes with you.

One final note, I would like to say a big 'Thank you' to Farqs and his son Greg who have encouraged Josh and helped a great deal in getting him started in hockey especially with his kit and transport!

Good luck to the Assassins in the future.

Paul

Last edited by Rose15 (Mon 17th Oct 11 16:34)

#9 Fri 21st Oct 11 08:44

Doug
Management

Check out the Assassins report and picture in today's Medway Messenger!

CHAMPIONS!!!!

#10 Fri 21st Oct 11 11:09

Warren
Site Admin
Website

Dougie - If you can get an extra copy (as I am in London all day today) I'll try to scan and get on the front page of the site.

Its all about TEAMWORK - Play as a team, lose as a team, win as a team.

Board footer